Thursday, October 28, 2010


On day 2 of VBS, we roll up to our spot by the blue tarps, between piles of left over burnt trash and 2 broken, beat up trucks. Our arms were loaded with silly bands for the kids, and our little group of boys where waiting patiently for us to arrive. Isaiah 45:23
Turn to me and be saved, all you end of the earth, for I am God and there is no other.
As we prepared for VBS the children strolled in, as well as the mommas. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice this little girl hobbling. We must have all noticed her at the same time because we all rushed over to her. Amongst all the mommas stood the prettiest little girl in a pink dress with the coolest little Jellies on. One leg, from the knee down, was twisted in every direction. Sweet tender Jennie asked whose baby she was and for details on what happened to her. Between the mommas, our translator and us, we didn’t get a clear story on what happened, but it comes down to this child’s leg could have been fixed within weeks. Being in Haiti, this quick fix turns into a lifetime crutch for her. Job 6:8
Oh, that I might have my request, that God would grant what I hope for.
This little girl was one of my biggest regrets of the week. I felt that God had prepared me for something like this and I had been looking for this opportunity. I should have gone to her, put my hand on her little leg and prayed for God to heal it. Instead I thought about praying for her, a little later perhaps, and took a picture of her. A little later, I forgot about it and she was gone. That was the only day she came to VBS. All week I waited for that little girl to return but she didn’t. I had one chance to ask for God to heal her and I hesitated too long. I walked around taking a few more pictures, the children love, love, love for you to take their picture and looking at themselves on the camera. Job 5:9 & 9:10
He performs wonders that cannot be fathomed, miracles that cannot be counted.
Hebrews 11:1
Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.
During craft time we tried splitting the group into two groups, one half playing while the other did crafts. Our VBS leader discussed the bracelets and beads. The children watched as the other half played, sang and danced. When we began passing out bracelets the children began multiplying. Little hands out stretched eager for whatever you were giving. Children tug, pull, call and motion they need one. The creel word for “sit” quickly became part of my vocabulary. As we began passing out black beads, representing our sin, the little hands multiplied. Some needed bracelets, some beads. As we passed out red beads, representing the blood Jesus shed for our sin, little hands multiplied. More tugging, pulling, calling, motioning. The words of their little faces, the expressions in their eyes, knowing full well they were taking advantage of us but I didn’t care, it was hard to deny them. At this point we are passing out bands, black beads, and red beads with little hands in your face, tugging, pulling and pushing. Did I mention handing out stuff was maddening? Philippians 4:19
And my God will meet all of your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
As I reach for more beads I notice my hands had begun trembling. My body needed food but there was no stopping place. I knew my body would not be able to handle this much longer but there were still so many kids. There had to be a better way to do this. Little hands stretched out holding half made bracelets in your face, tugging, pulling, calling, motioning. I took a bracelet, put it together, tied it on the little arm and sent them out. So we began going down the row. Take a band, put it together, tie it on and out they go, another little body would fill the space and we would repeat. With every bracelet I put together I became shakier, light headed and weaker. 1 Peter 1:24-25 & Isaiah 40:6-8
For, “All men are like grass, and all their glory like the flowers of the field; the grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of the Lord stands forever.” And this is the word that was preached to you.
I have no idea how long we made bracelets. I worked like a little worker bee, head down, plugging away. In the mean time our other half played, sang, danced, and swarmed with kids, tugging, pulling, calling, and sweating in the hot sun. At this point I didn’t know what was worse; being swarmed with little hands and beaded bracelets or playing and singing your heart out in the sun. We made bracelets until we had no more. We played and sang until we could no more. We gave until we could give no more. Isaiah 26:4
Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord, is the Rock eternal.
When we returned to the hotel for lunch our day was not done. We started right in preparing for the next day’s craft. We prepared, put together, misheard, beaded, tied, cut, glued, bagged, organized, counted, stacked, folded… until dinner at 7:00. Needless to say we were pooped and crafted out.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! great story! Great Verses! God is using you in Big ways. Im always encouraged when i read this. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete