Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Do Not Be Anxious

Most of the time my long term desires don’t way me down. But….every now and then they do.

Mother Day, my nephew came running into “Big” church and said, “Happy Mother’s Day, Aunt B!”. I painfully said, “Thank you buddy, but I’m not a Mommy”. He looked down in disappointment, as did my heart. I know he was disappointed he had gotten it wrong. This sweet, simple, loving, little comment began a heavy burden on my heart.

Most of the time I don’t hear God well, but this morning he spoke words I could not deny were from his heart.

From the little church devotion book, (not the official title)


May 18, 2011
Philippians 4:4-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation ….with thanksgiving, present your request to God. –Philippians 4:


Vending machines are convenient when you are in a hurry. If you have cash, they can supply you a quick snack or drink.

But the technology isn’t perfect. Sometimes the machine won’t accept your old, worn dollar. Worse yet, it might not deliver a product after swallowing your money. Some unfortunate customers get so upset that they vandalize the machine while trying to take out their purchase.
(Here is the good part)
Sometimes we have similar attitudes as we pray to God. We try to use God as sme kind of heavely vending machine, and we demand quick fulfillment of our prayer request – or perhaps we should call them “prayer orders”!
When we pray in that way, we grow restless and upset if we don’t get the desired results. Our grumbling against God really does not hurt Him, but we hurt ourselves spiritually when we grumble and complain.
The Lord is near. So we can sincerely rejoice in His Love. That’s how restlessness is removed from our hearts. The Scriptures don’t say that all prayers will be fulfilled. But we are promised the all-embracing peace of God.

“Lord, thank you for being near. That’s why we don’t have to be anxious about anything. We can pour out our hearts before you, trusting in your love and mercy. Amen”

AMEN!

1 comment:

  1. BRANDI!!! I have been thinking about you allllllll the time right now. I just added your blog to my link list. Now I can be better about checking it! :) I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. Will you visit us soon?

    ReplyDelete